Friday, April 5, 2013

HGUC Sinanju WIP 2


This is now my second WIP for the HGUC Sinanju and it will likely be the last. This post is all about the frame pieces and the finishing touches. Read on for more pictures!

First up are the pieces I'm going to paint with Mr. Color Steel. These have been put on skewers and primed. Notice they're mostly pieces that you won't really see when the build is complete.


And here are the mechanical workings and inner frame pieces that will be shown on the outside. I've painted them with a gloss black enamel in preparation for my metallic finish.


I had initially planned on using Mr. Metal Color for this kit, but after working with it briefly I found I was fairly disappointed. Mr. Metal Color requires a lot of buffing to achieve the finish I was looking for,  and as such it's really not an economical solution for multiple parts. That being said, they're nice paints, and work well for hand painting frame details. Pictured below is the bottle of Aclad II Stainless Steel I decided to use instead.


I'm not gonna lie, I think Alclad is some amazing stuff. This was my first time using it and it's like magic, you can watch your reflection appear in the parts. I've heard bad things about it's durability, but after scratching this spoon with my fingernail, and various other pieces of plastic, it appeared to have a stronger finish than even some clear coats.



I also chose to paint the thrusters using Alclad, but with Chrome instead of Stainless Steel. This stuff is highly reflective when done right; perfect for thrusters and other piping.



Next up is the mono-eye. Same technique that I would use for any type of eye.
Step 1: Prime and paint silver


Step 2: Clear Green, or whatever color your eyes are, having the metallic under your clear color really makes it stand out


Step 3: Paint enamel black and do a quick reverse wash with lighter fluid.


The frame pieces that weren't painted with Alclad received the Mr. Color Steel, the same color I was using to paint the vents during my first WIP. I gave them a semi-gloss clear coat, it preserves some of the shine without making them super glossy.



I still need to put the finishing touches on these canisters. After panel washing the vents on the sides there I'm going to apply a few decals and flat coat them. These are really the only parts I have left.


Here are a few shots of the Sinanju as it starts to come together.




 

Everything seemed to be going so well, things were coming together and looking great, and then...disaster! I lost a part. I don't know how or when, but its gone and I don't have the slightest clue where. You can see here what part I'm missing. I've decided to just bite the bullet though, and buy another HG Sinanju. I'll let my girlfriend build it after I take that piece. Call me impatient, but I wait for no man.


I should finish the Sinanju later this weekend or early next week, and I'll take some photos and do a completed post. Thanks for reading, let me know what you guys think in the comments!